Cockpit implementation in PHP application

I’m aware that headless CMSs such as Cockpit are designed to be used over a variety of platforms (not just websites), but let me explain my specific scenario.

I currently develop websites primarily in monolithic frameworks such as WordPress. I now wish to replace this with Cockpit. At present, the websites that I want to develop are just simple brochure websites - so their content will most likely never be consumed on other platforms.

I want to know what is the best way I should implement Cockpit in my websites? For the front end I will use a custom built PHP framework, or maybe Laravel in some cases. So I guess I could use something like Guzzle for the API calls.

My idea is to place Cockpit in a subfolder of the website structure, and so my clients can access the CMS by going to /cms.

Is there anything wrong with this approach? Is there a better way to do it?

Hi!

this is totally possible. Just add cockpit in a subfolder and the only thing you have to do is to

include 'cockpitfolder/bootstrap.php'

anywhere in your code to get full access to the cockpit api.

e.g. to get all posts of the posts collection:

$posts = cockpit('collections')->find('posts', [
   'filter' => ['published' => true],
   'limit' => 10
]);
1 Like

Excellent. So am I right in assuming I would need to include the Cockpit subfolder in my Git repository?

One more question. What is the best way to create “pages” for a website? So let’s say I want to build a 5 page website (home, about, services, service details, contact). I want my client to go in the CMS, click the page and be able to edit the content. Each page has the following fields:

• Title (SEO)
  • Description (SEO)
  • Heading
  • Sub heading
  • Banner image
  • Content

However some pages will also contain some specific fields, e.g. on the Contact page there will be a field to enter Google Maps embed code.

Now I think the closest thing to achieve this in Cockpit is “Singletons”. The only issue with this is that I would have to create the fields repeatedly for each page. Is there a way to have a singleton which extends a “base” singleton, which contains all of the above fields?

Anyone able to advise on my last 2 posts?

You can have a page content composed by the fields you described:

• Title - textfield (can be used to generate also the page slug)
  • Description - textarea (limited to 155 chars), you may use it in your FE also for og and twitter card description
  • Banner - asset (don’t use image field but asset instead, you can take a look on the imagestyles addon to have images automatically resized for your fe)
  • Content - my suggestion is to use the LayoutComponents module and use the core components or build your own, it results in a better user experience and you can handle them better in the fe. That will also help with the specific aspects of each page like the google map embed code.

Hey, thanks for your reply.

So just to clarify, do I create “pages” as a collection or singleton?

And secondly how do I include a LayoutComponent? I have managed to create one but I cannot work out how to include it as a field.

EDIT: I think I’ve figured this out. Thanks for your help!

Contents that may have many entries (e.g. pages, taxomies, etc…) should be on Collections, Singletons are for a different purpose (you can use it for storing settings, blocks of data, etc…).

To use core components you only need to create a field of type Layout in your collection.
If you want to build your own components you need https://github.com/agentejo/LayoutComponents addon (and then go to settings / layout components)

@gstar If you build a PHP app, maybe Monoplane is interesting for you. I solved a lot of edge cases already and it is based on the same structure, like you suggested. I use it with one collection named “pages” and one singleton named “config” and a handful of custom controllers for different collections, forms etc.